Hi, a speedy response would be much appreciated as my dog picked up this caterpillar in her mouth and vomited. Trying to find out whether it is poisonous or not. Poison control doesn’t think it is and said to watch her, while a vet said the same. Just want to verify if possible because of possible necrosis or other possible injuries that can be sustained due to her coming in contact with a poisonous caterpillar. Description: -Black -Fuzzy/spine-y -orange welts or bumps of a sort along one side of the body -about the length of a quarter We live in Portland, Texas small town in South Texas, near Corpus Christi. Don’t know if it helps, but we also live on the coast/water.
I personally don’t know any poisonous caterpillar species that could effects a dogs live. Some species store toxins from their food plant ( Monarch butterfly for example) but eating one wouldn’t kill. Most likely the spines just irritate dog causing vomit. No worries
Without picture it will be very difficult to guess what species was it, but my guess it could be butterfly of Nymphalidae family.
Post by nomihoudai on May 18, 2020 10:58:48 GMT -8
Hi, this does sound like a Buck Moth (genus Hemileuca) caterpillar and they will be in your area. I am not an expert or veterinarian. All I could find is that their sting hurts a lot, but it won't result in necrosis or anything like that. As the sting can be very hurtful I assume that the dog vomited to get the caterpillar out of its mouth. With this information you might be able to find out more. All the best to you and your dog. Greetings from Dallas.