I recently got a mounted Papilio specimen, which has blue-green mould at the abdomen and the thorax. I don't know if the mould is alive, but I don't want to wait and risk its extending over the wings. How can I kill the mould? Freezer?
I once got completely molded specimen that resulted from a test of sending me frozen stuff overseas. I mounted them just as usual and I brushed the mold off with a brush and the strongest alcohol I had, I think it was 80%. The specimen now just are fine and keep their wings up (nevertheless many hairs of the hairy body came off when brushing it).
I am not sure if freezing will kill it, you probably get to kill the initial mold but first of all it will still be there and if spores survive you set a perfect environment for even stronger mold, wet environment and organic dead material ready for food.
Last Edit: Feb 20, 2011 2:36:47 GMT -8 by nomihoudai
Yes, brush off the loose stuff (away from other insects). If alcohol is not available, dip/soak in acetone or benzene in an airy/ventilated environment. I honestly feel that freezing is not all that effective as molds (when dormant) are very hardy. It can't hurt, but do do the dip thing with a fluid like mentioned above.
Good luck and do tell us how things work out with your bug.
Post by billgarthe on Feb 20, 2011 12:04:32 GMT -8
Well, I'd say you have two options.
1. Liberally 'paint' the acetone on the abdomen and really soak in the fluid with the brush. Thus, only the abdomen would get the stuff and not the repaired wing. I didn't realize that it had a repair job---of course you would not want to dip the whole bug and undo the repair.
2. Carefullly remove the abdomen and soak it separately from the rest of the specimen. Then glue it back after it dried.
Post by saturniidave on Feb 21, 2011 15:55:41 GMT -8
I use Methylated Spirits, this is sold in some camping shops for lighting gas lamps and also in DIY shops for de-greasing. I wet a small paint brush with it and carefully remove the mould by brushing, dipping the brush in the Meths several times to keep it wetted.. I then leave the residue to evaporate away. Dave
I started life with nothing and I still have plenty left.